The traditional Ilokano igado recipes main ingredient are pork liver, heart and kidney. This recipe, the chicken igado is a variation of the igado recipe which uses chicken internal organs like chicken liver and chicken gizzard. If you are in search for a healthier alternative of igado dish, I think this is what you are looking for. Because chicken meat, compared to pork, have less cholesterol specially if you will use the breast part. The chicken liver and gizzards, when bought from a wet market contains lot of fats which you should discard before cooking. But most of the time, those sold in supermarkets are already trimmed and contains no chicken fat.
How to Cook Chicken Igado (Igadong Manok)
- 1/2 kilo Chicken fillet
- 1/2 kilo Liver
- 1/4 kilo chicken Gizzard
- 1 pc bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 tsp. Mama Sita Achuete anatto powder
- 1/2 cup Chickpeas or green peas
- 3 pcs laurel leaves
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- chicken broth cubes
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 medium size onion chopped
- How to cook chicken igado:
- Boil the chicken liver and the gizzard to remove the odor and only half-cooked.
- Slice the chicken fillet into strips.
- Saute the garlic, onion then the chicken fillet.
- Simmer for a few minutes until the liquid has evaporated. Then add the liver and gizzard and stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Pour a little amount of water and simmer again until the chicken meat, and gizzard is already tender.
- Add the pepper and laurel leaves. Allow the liquid to evaporate then pour the vinegar and broth cube.
- Add the achuete and mix for a little while. Simmer again for 3 minutes then add the chick peas and bell pepper.
- Simmer again for 3 minutes then add the salt or patis (fish sauce) and adjust or add a little more to suit your taste.
- Transfer in a serving plate and serve hot.