Pininyahang Manok (Chicken Pineapple Recipe)
Pininyahang manok is actually a dish of stewed chicken in pineapple. There are many variation of cooking pininyahang manok and this version I got here doesn’t contain evaporated milk or coconut milk. The only star ingredients here is pineapple chunks and pineapple juice. There are also no veggies like carrots or potatoes. The chicken is also braised before cooking in pineapple juice unlike the usual cooking of marinating it first before stewing. Since is doesn’t have milk, this recipe is for those people with lactose intolerance.
1 kilo chicken, sliced in 2 inches
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. dried ginger
1 Tbsp. cornstarch (dissolved in ¼ cup water )
1 cup cooking oil
2 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 cups pineapple chunks
1 cup pineapple juice
1 cup 7-UP or sprite
How to cook Pininyahang Manok:
- Wash the chicken thoroughly and drain.
- In a big wok or kawali, heat the oil and fry the chicken until slightly brown.
- Remove from the wok and set aside.
- Sauté the onion and ginger and add the chicken.
- Pour in the silantro, soy sauce, salt, sugar and pineapple juice.
- Cook until chicken is tender. Add the cornstarch, 7-Up and pineapple chunks.
- Then simmer until the sauce thickens. Serve.