Chicken Halang Halang
This is a Visayan chicken dish. Most dish from that region has coconut milk in their cooking. Actually it is very similar to ginataang manok or chicken stew with coconut milk known in most part of Luzon. The only difference is this halang halang dish is a spicy chicken stew in coconut milk. “Halang” means spicy in the Visayan dialect.
The recipe I have here is a simple procedure in cooking the dish where you only need to boil the chicken with ginger until tender, add the papaya, pour in the coconut milk and add the chili and chili leaves then season with salt and pepper until cooked. You can also do the extra step of sauteing the chicken first before simmering and add the rest of the ingredients. To see the complete recipe with lists of ingredients in exact measurements, look below.
- 1 chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 Tablespoon ginger, crushed
- 1 small green papaya, peeled and sliced into 2 inch slices
- 2 cups thin coconut milk
- 1 cup sili leaves (chili pepper leaves)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large casserole, put together chicken and ginger.
- Put in enough water just to cover chicken.
- Simmer over low fire, when chicken is almost tender, add papaya.
- When papaya is cooked, pour in the coconut milk, add siling labuyo, sili leaves and season with salt and pepper. Makes 6 servings.