Balao-Balao or Burong Hipon Recipe
1/2 kilo fresh 2 inch long shrimp, alive if possible
1 cup sea salt
5 cups rice, boiled with 10 cups water until cooked, cool after cooking
1/4 kilo young bamboo shoots, sliced thinly
1/2 cup cooking oil
2 tablespoon minced garlic
2 cups chopped onions
1/4 kilo fresh tomatoes, coarsely chopped
How to make Balao-Balao or Burong Hipon:
- Wash shrimp in running water, then drain well. In a large bowl, mix shrimp with salt.
- With gloved hands, add rice and bamboo shoots. Mix with shrimp.
- Pack mixture in layers into a clean, dry 1 – 2 gallon jar.
- Cover mouth of jar with a clean plastic sheet, then cover lid.
- Set aside in a cool place to ferment for 3 days.
- After 3 days, keep it in the refrigerator so it does not ferment too much.
How to cook Balao-Balao or Burong Hipon:
- Cook the mixture in batches, not all st the same time. For this recipe use 1/4 of the mixture. In a heavy, medium-sized saucepan over low fire, heat oil and saute garlic and onions until garlic is light brown and onions are wilted. Add tomatoes and simmer until tomatoes are cooked, stirring to prevent sticking to bottom of pan.
- Add 1/4 of the fermented rice mixture and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring continuously. Adjust seasoning, it must not be too salty. Let cool until the smell is not too strong. Serve with fried, charbroiled or grilled fish, steamed vegetables and hot rice.
Categories: Shellfish Recipes
- Baked Chicken and Broccoli Pasta
- Kalderatang Itik (Duck Caldereta)
- Pancit Canton
- Adobong Pusit at Tokwa (Squid Adobo with Tofu)
- Goat Meat Stew – Caldereta de Cabrito
- Sinigang na Tanigue sa Sampalok (Spanish Mackerel in Tamarind Broth)
- Tinumok Recipe (Shrimp Mixture Wrap in Taro Leaves)
- Bulanglang Kapampangan (Prawns and Pork in Sour Broth)
- Beef Kalderata with Beer
- Stuffed Crab in Coconut Milk (Rellenong Alimasag sa Gata)
About Panlasang Pinoy Meat Recipes
Filipino recipes that specializes in all kinds of red meat like pork, beef, chicken, duck, veal or turkey