This crab recipe is one of the easiest to cook because you only need to stir fry or sauté the crabs with the aromatics, condiments and wine. This is also one of my favorite seafood dishes because of its sweet savory flavor and it also reminds me of my childhood memories. In fact I got this recipe from watching a TV cooking show where the host is a Chinese chef in the 1980’s.
I was also a kid back then and very interested in cooking. But this recipe is not exactly the same recipe back then because I seem to forget the exact amount of ingredients. But the basic aromatics like the garlic, onion and ginger are the ones I can’t forget. This recipe is also good in cooking prawns or large shrimps. And I think the best wine to use is red wine.
How to Cook Sauteed Blue Crabs with Wine
- 1 kilo blue crabs or alimasag
- 1 piece onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 inch size ginger peeled and sliced
- 1 stalk leeks sliced diagonally
- 2 Tbsp. cooking wine or red wine
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. magic sarap
- 1 tsp. soy sauce or oyster sauce
- 1 tsp. salt
- cooking oil for sauteing
How to Cook Sauteed Blue Crabs with Wine:
- Clean the crabs by bushing to remove impurities then wash in running water and drain.
- Cut the abdomen only but don't cut through the carapace. Set aside.
- Heat 2Tbsp. of cooking oil in a pan then saute garlic, ginger and onion for 1 minute.
- Than add the crabs and stir until the color turns to red orange on all sides.
- Add brown sugar, cooking wine, soy sauce and Magic sarap (or chicken powder or MSG). Then stir until the sauce is mixed with the crabs in all sides.
- Cover and simmer for 3 minutes. Then add 1/2 cup of water and leeks. Season with salt if needed. Stir until the sauce is reduced to half.
- You can also add some red chilies or chili powder to make it spicy. Serve hot.