This dish is the pork version of pininyahang manok. Where the meat is cooked in pineapple juice, coconut milk and pineapple chunks. The chicken version is the popular one and is one of the most favorite chicken dishes among Pinoys. The recipe here is the pork version which is not as popular as the chicken but it is as tasty and appetizing. The ingredients are basically the same like the potatoes, carrots, bell peppers, pineapples and coconut milk except the chicken of course which is replaced by pork. Pork belly is the preferred part when cooking this dish but you can opt a leaner part like the pork tenderloin, pork butt or pork shoulder.
How to Cook Pininyahang Baboy
- 1 kilo pork slice into cubes
- 3 pieces potatoes peeled, quartered
- 1 large can canned coconut cream
- 1 small can pineapple chunks reserved syrup for marinate
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 medium size carrot peeled, cut into wedges
- 1 medium size red or green bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 large bird's eye chili chopped
- 2 pcs bay leaves laurel leaves
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 red onions chopped
- 1 tsp. peppercorns crushed
- 2 tsp. patis fish sauce
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- salt to taste
- cooking oil
How to cook Pininyahang Baboy:
- In a large bowl, put the pork and season with salt. Pour in the pineapple syrup and marinate the meat for at least 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat about a tablespoon of oil in a large wok and saute the pork for 2 to 3 minutes until all sides are slightly brown. Drain from oil and set aside.
- In the same wok, saute garlic and onions until the onions are soft. Add in the pork, peppercorn, bay leaves and fish sauce and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add in the water, pineapple juice and sugar. Bring to a boil and simmer until the pork is tender stirring occasionally. Add water if necessary.
- Then pour in the coconut cream and stir. Add in the potatoes and simmer 2 minutes stirring constantly. Next is add the carrots and simmer for another 3 minutes until the carrots and potatoes are cooked and the sauce is thick. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Last but not the least is add the pineapple chunks, bell peppers and red chilies. Cover and cook for another minute and turn off heat. Serve with steamed rice and enjoy!