This fried chicken recipe is a Max’s restaurant style fried chicken. I do hope this copycat recipe will taste as good as the original fried chicken. I just wonder why this simple fried chicken have captured the palate of most Pinoys because there are lots of fried chicken businesses sprouting everywhere. The chicken is just simply fried without any breading or batter so it might be the taste and how it is cooked. In cooking whole fried chicken, I always fry it without precooking it (like boiling or steaming) and I rub it with salt and pepper, fish sauce and some lime juice. Because I like the chicken moist inside when fried unlike boiling it first which will make the chicken meat dry and rubbery. But the downside is, the skin is usually burned because of the longer frying time. There are more advantages of boiling the chicken before frying: it shortens the cooking time in frying, add flavor to the meat since you can add seasonings on the boiling liquid and tenderizes the meat. So I think that is the secret of Max’s fried chicken.
Max's Style Fried Chicken
- 1 whole dressed chicken (or 3 to 4 pcs chicken legs with thigh)
- 1/4 cup fish sauce patis
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 pc onion, quartered
- 1/2 Tbsp. black peppercorns, cracked
- 3 pcs laurel leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper powder
- 4 to 5 cups water
- cooking oil for deep frying
How to cook Max's Fried Chicken:
- In a pot, pour water and add fish sauce, garlic, onion, black peppercorns and laurel leaves. Stir. Bring to boil. Then place the chicken in the pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes for whole chicken and 15 minutes for chicken legs.
- Remove from the broth and drain on a colander. Cool for about 10 minutes and rub with equal amount of salt and pepper on all sides of the skin and the inside part.
- Heat cooking oil in a pot for deep frying. Fry the chicken until lightly brown. Turning the chicken as needed after cooking on each side until the chicken is evenly cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and drain with paper towels or jut place it on a rack to drain the excess oil. Let it rest for 10 minutes. Fry again for 3 to 5 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Drain again to remove excess oil.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
You have this in your recipe but you didn’t use it.
1/2 Tbsp. black peppercorns, cracked
Hi Gray, sorry I missed that ingredient in the procedure. Just corrected it today. Thanks!
2nd time using this recipe. Thank you for this 😊
Thanks SgReyes! Hope u also watch the video!
Thank for sharing this Max’s style fried chicken! I tried it this afternoon using chicken legs and it turn out to be a success! More power!
You’re welcome! Pls visit my youtube channel also for more cooking videos!