Chicken joy is I think the most popular fried chicken in the Philippines. Not just the taste that captured the palate of Pinoys but also the crispy chicken skin and the aroma is what makes it number one. Since the original chickenjoy recipe is top secret, who knows what is the real recipe? There are many chicken joy recipes you can find but most of them have a lot of ingredients that I think might spoil the dish. The great thing about this homemade chicken joy recipe here is the simplicity. Sometimes simple ingredients makes the dishes tastier.
When preparing the chicken, to avoid the crispy tasty outside and bloody raw inside, prick each chicken until it reach the bones with a bamboo stick or a toothpick 3 to 5 times before frying it. And if you can’t find five spice powder, you can make your own by combining equal amounts of ground anise, ground black peppercorns, ground cinnamon, ground cloves and ground fennel seeds. Mix them thoroughly or shake them in a bottle until well mixed. Make sure you don’t use too much five spice powder, start using only 1/4 teaspoon. If that is not enough for your taste, then make it 1/2 teaspoon. Too much of it will ruin the taste.
How to Cook Jollibee Chicken Joy
- deep fryer or frying pan
- 2 kilos chicken your choice cuts
- salt and pepper
- cooking oil for deep frying
For the breading:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. five spice powder or ngohiong powder
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. fine salt adjust if necessary
How to Cook Jollibee Chicken Joy:
- Put the chicken pieces in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Rub and press each chicken with the salt and pepper so all the pieces is evenly coated.
- Next, to make the breading, in a mixing bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, five spice powder, garlic powder and salt.
- Stir the dry ingredients using a fork until all the ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Heat the oil in the deep fryer or deep frying pan for about 175°C.
- Coat a piece of chicken with the breading inside and out. Coat underneath the skin as well.
- Do it by pressing each chicken with the breading then shake off excess breading and fry it.
- Depending on the size of your fryer and the size of your chicken, you can put 4 to 5 pieces per batch.
- Just don't overcrowd the fryer to avoid the fried chicken to become soggy and loose it's crispiness.
- Cook it for about 15 to 20 minutes in medium fire.
- Put the chicken in a paper towel or a rack to drain the excess oil.
- Serve with your favorite gravy. Enjoy!