If you’re a fan of fried chicken, you may have heard of Chicken Joy, the iconic dish that is beloved by Filipinos around the world. It’s not just the taste that captured the palates of Pinoys, but also the crispy chicken skin and the aroma that make it number one. Since the original recipe is top secret, who knows what the real recipe is? While there are many Chicken Joy recipes out there, most of them have a lot of ingredients that might spoil the dish. But the great thing about this homemade recipe is its simplicity. Sometimes, simple ingredients make dishes tastier.
What is Chicken Joy?
Chicken Joy is a dish that was created by the popular Filipino fast-food chain, Jollibee. It’s a fried chicken dish that is known for its crispy skin and juicy meat. It’s a staple food in the Philippines, and many Filipinos have fond memories of eating Chicken Joy with their families and friends.
Why is Chicken Joy So Popular?
There are many reasons why Chicken Joy is so popular in the Philippines. For one, it’s a delicious and satisfying meal that can be enjoyed any time of the day. Filipinos love their fried chicken, and Chicken Joy is the perfect comfort food. But it’s not just about the taste. Chicken Joy has also become a cultural phenomenon, and many Filipinos see it as a symbol of national pride. It’s a dish that has become a part of Filipino identity, and it’s something that many Filipinos take pride in.
What Makes Chicken Joy So Good?
The secret to Chicken Joy’s deliciousness lies in its crispy skin and juicy meat. The chicken is marinated in a special blend of spices and seasoning, which gives it its unique flavor. The breading is also an important component of the dish. It’s made with a combination of flour, cornstarch, five-spice powder, garlic powder, and salt, which creates a crispy and flavorful coating for the chicken.
Start with the Basics: Preparing the Chicken
Before we dive into the recipe, make sure you have all your ingredients ready and your kitchen workspace organized. Here’s how to get started:
Seasoning the Chicken: Begin by taking your chicken pieces and placing them in a bowl. Season generously with salt and pepper. To ensure that every bite is bursting with flavor, rub and press each piece of chicken with the salt and pepper, making sure they are evenly coated.
Mixing the Dry Ingredients: In a separate mixing bowl, it’s time to create the magic breading that will give your chicken that signature crunch. Combine flour, cornstarch, five-spice powder, garlic powder, and a pinch of salt. Use a fork to stir the dry ingredients until they are well mixed. The combination of these simple ingredients will work wonders for your Chicken Joy.
The Frying Process: Achieving Crispy Perfection
Heating the Oil: Now comes the critical step in achieving that irresistible crispiness. Heat your cooking oil in a deep fryer or a deep frying pan to approximately 175°C (345°F). Maintaining the right oil temperature is essential for a perfectly cooked Chicken Joy.
Coating the Chicken: Take a piece of chicken and generously coat it with the prepared breading mix. Don’t forget to get the breading underneath the skin for that extra crunch and flavor. Gently press the breading onto the chicken to ensure it adheres well. Shake off any excess breading before frying.
Frying to Golden Perfection: Depending on the size of your fryer and the chicken pieces, you can typically fry 4 to 5 pieces at a time. Avoid overcrowding the fryer, as this can lead to soggy chicken. Maintain a medium fire and cook the chicken for approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Keep a close eye on them to ensure they reach that golden, crispy perfection.
The Final Touch: Serving Your Homemade Chicken Joy
Draining and Plating: Once your chicken is beautifully golden and crispy, remove it from the oil and let it drain on a paper towel or a rack. This step is crucial to remove any excess oil and preserve the crispiness of your Chicken Joy.
Enjoy the Fruits of Your Labor: Now, the moment you’ve been waiting for. Serve your homemade Jollibee Chicken Joy with your favorite gravy on the side. The combination of the crispy chicken and savory gravy is a match made in heaven. Sit back, savor the moment, and enjoy your homemade Chicken Joy!
Homemade Happiness on a Plate
While the original Jollibee Chicken Joy recipe remains a well-kept secret, this homemade version captures the essence of this beloved Filipino dish. With a few simple ingredients and a little kitchen magic, you can enjoy the same crispy, flavorful chicken in the comfort of your home. Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or simply craving some comfort food, this homemade Chicken Joy recipe is sure to satisfy your taste buds. Give it a try and discover the joy of homemade goodness.
NOTES ON THE INGREDIENTS:
Five Spice Powder
It is a spice mixture that consist of spices and usually five or more and sometimes called ngo hiong powder. You can buy it most of the time in supermarkets and packed in small sachets or small jars. But if you can’t find five spice powder, you can make your own by combining equal amounts of ground anise, ground black peppercorns, ground cinnamon, ground cloves and ground fennel seeds. Mix them thoroughly or shake them in a bottle until well mixed. Make sure you don’t use too much five spice powder, start using only 1/4 teaspoon. If that is not enough for your taste, then make it 1/2 teaspoon. Too much of it will ruin the taste.
There is no restriction of using any parts of the chicken except the chicken feet or head. The wings, thigh, legs or drumsticks, breast can be used in cooking this recipe.
Jollibee Chicken Joy
- deep fryer or frying pan
- 2 kilos chicken your choice cuts
- salt and pepper
- cooking oil for deep frying
For the breading:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. five spice powder or ngohiong powder
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. fine salt adjust if necessary
How to Cook Jollibee Chicken Joy:
- Put the chicken pieces in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Rub and press each chicken with the salt and pepper so all the pieces is evenly coated.
- Next, to make the breading, in a mixing bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, five spice powder, garlic powder and salt.
- Stir the dry ingredients using a fork until all the ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Heat the oil in the deep fryer or deep frying pan for about 175°C.
- Coat a piece of chicken with the breading inside and out. Coat underneath the skin as well.
- Do it by pressing each chicken with the breading then shake off excess breading and fry it.
- Depending on the size of your fryer and the size of your chicken, you can put 4 to 5 pieces per batch.
- Just don't overcrowd the fryer to avoid the fried chicken to become soggy and loose it's crispiness.
- Cook it for about 15 to 20 minutes in medium fire.
- Put the chicken in a paper towel or a rack to drain the excess oil.
- Serve with your favorite gravy. Enjoy!
Cooking Tips for Chicken Joy Recipe:
- Five Spice Powder: If you can't find five spice powder or ngo hyong, you can make your own by combining equal amounts of ground anise, ground black peppercorns, ground cinnamon, ground cloves and ground fennel seeds. Mix them thoroughly or shake them in a bottle until well mixed. Make sure you don't use too much five spice powder, start using only 1/4 teaspoon. If that is not enough for your taste, then make it 1/2 teaspoon. Too much of it will ruin the taste.
- Maintain the Right Oil Temperature: Achieving that crispy perfection in your Chicken Joy hinges on maintaining the correct oil temperature. Use a kitchen thermometer to ensure the oil reaches around 175°C (345°F) before frying. If the oil is too hot, the chicken may burn on the outside while remaining undercooked inside. Conversely, if the oil isn't hot enough, the chicken can absorb excess oil, resulting in a greasy texture. Keep an eye on the oil temperature throughout the frying process and adjust the heat as needed to maintain consistency.
- Don't Rush the Breading Process: Coating the chicken with the breading is a crucial step in replicating the signature crunch of Jollibee's Chicken Joy. Take your time to ensure each piece is evenly coated both inside and out. Press the breading onto the chicken gently to make it stick, but also be sure to shake off any excess breading before frying. This meticulous breading process is what sets the stage for that irresistible, crispy texture.
Nutrition Notes:Calorie and other nutrition information is derived from HappyFolks.Com recipe nutrition calculator. The percent daily value (%DV) is based on a daily 2,000 calorie diet.
Nutrition Information:Amount per Serving:208g, Calories:598kcal, From fat:385, Total fat:43.5g, Saturated Fat:23g, Trans Fat:0.2g, Cholesterol:125mg, Sodium: 313 Total Carbohydrate: 19g, Dietary Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 0g, Protein: 32g, Vitamin A: 5%, Vitamin C: 5%, Calcium: 2%, Iron: 12%