One of the well known and favorite Filipino dish is lechon kawali. I’m not sure why it is called lechon in the first place because lechon dishes are usually roasted or broiled over live charcoals like the popular “Lechon” or roasted pig and the “lechon manok” or roasted chicken. Since this dish is a whole chunk of pork belly deep fried until the skin is crispy, I think this should be called fried pork belly or pritong liempo. Anyway this is the way it is traditionally called so we might just as well enjoy it!
To cook lechon kawali; Boil pork belly in water with salt and MSG until skin can be pinched easily. Remove from fire and drain Cool and air-dry. Deep-fry in a deep saucepan until tiny blasters appear on the skin. Chop into serving pieces and serve with Lechon-liver Sauce.
How to Cook Lechon Kawali with Liver Sauce
Lechon Kawali Ingredients:
- 1 kilo pork belly or liempo
- 4 cup water
- 2 tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. MSG
Lechon liver Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup liver paste or liver spread
- 1 pc. bay leaf or laurel
- 3/4 cup native vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp. MSG
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil or lard
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 head garlic minced
- 1 pack kasubha American saffron or safflower
- 6 pieces shallots sliced fine
How to cook Lechon Kawali:
- Boil pork belly in water with salt and MSG until skin can be pinched easily.
- Remove from fire and drain Cool and air-dry.
- Deep-fry in a deep saucepan until tiny blasters appear on the skin.
- Chop into serving pieces and serve with Lechon-liver Sauce.
How to cook Lechon Kawali sauce:
- Mix liver paste, vinegar, water, bread crumbs, sugar, 1/2 of the kasubha, laurel, salt, pepper and MSG.
- Blend well and set aside. Saute garlic in cooking oil.
- Add the onions and fry until tender. Add the liver mixture.
- Boil without stirring. Do not cover the saucepan.
- Add the rest of the bread crumbs dispersed in 1 cup of water. Cook till it thickens.
- Serve sauce topped with the rest of the crisp brown garlic and fried kasubha. Good for 6 persons.