Kung pao chicken is I think, one of the easiest Chinese chicken dish you can cook. And on this recipe, the ingredients and procedures are simplified so you can make a very quick Chinese chicken dish for your dinner or lunch. To describe kung pao chicken, it is a spicy sweet stir-fried Chinese dish made with chicken, veggies, chili peppers. It is also known as Gong Bao or Kung Po in its traditional Chinese name but the popular Kung Pao chicken is a westernize version. In this recipe, the amount of red chili flakes are at minimum because not everyone like spicy dishes but you can adjust the amount. You can also use chopped dried red chilies if red chili flakes is not available.
How to Cook Kung Pao Chicken
- 1/2 kilo chicken breast fillet slice into one inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 2 tsp sesame oil or sunflower oil
- 2 Tbsp. spring onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. ginger grated
- 2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts
- 1 Tbsp. spring onion for garnishing
How to cook Kung Pao Chicken:
- In a bowl, put the corn starch and toss in the chicken fillet to coat with the cornstarch.
- Heat oil in the non-stick wok and stir fry the chicken for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and remove the chicken from the wok and put in an bowl and set aside.
- Heat the same wok and another teaspoon of oil. Then add in the garlic, onion, spring onion, red pepper, ginger and stir fry for a few seconds then add in the vinegar, soy sauce and sugar. Stir again and simmer for a few seconds or until sugar is dissolved.
- Return the chicken in the wok and stir until well coated with the sauce. Add in the peanuts and stir occasionally. Cook for a minute then turn off heat. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with spring onions. Serve hot with steamed rice.