Grilled stuffed squid or inihaw na rellenong pusit is a dish of marinated squid stuffed with onions and tomato mixture then grilled over live charcoal. Actually you can cooked this squid without putting any stuffing because the marinade is already flavorful. You can use medium size squid if you can’t find large squid which I think is easier to cook because grilling a large squid takes longer and sometimes the stuffing is not well cooked. And as for basting, using a little cooking oil or butter will prevent the squid from becoming too dry while grilling and will also taste better.
How to Cook Grilled Stuffed Squid (Inihaw na Rellenong Pusit)
- 1 kilo large squid
- 3 pcs medium size tomatoes chopped
- 2 pcs medium size onions chopped
- 1 inch ginger julienne
- 12 pcs calamansi extract the juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp patis
- 1 Tbsp granulated seasoning e.g. Magic Sarap
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- peppercorns cracked
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil or melted butter
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup 7-up or sprite
How to cook Grilled Stuffed Squid:
- Clean the squid by removing the internal organs and inc sac by pulling the head.
- Usually the entrails will come out by pulling the head but you should also inspect if there are still entrails inside the body of the squid.
- Remove also the beak on the head and the soft transparent squid bone.
- Wash out the remaining entrails and ink (just in case the ink sac spilled) in running water and drain.
- Marinate the squid in soy sauce, sugar, 7-up, peppercorns and kalamansi juice.
- Marinate at least half a day and place inside a refrigerator.
- Prepare the stuffing by tossing together the chopped tomatoes and onions, ginger, patis and granulated seasoning.
- Drain the marinated squid and stuff it with the tomato-onion mixture.
- Then insert the head in the squid body and secure with a toothpick.
- Grill the squid over live charcoal and baste it with the marinade with a mixture of 2 Tbsp cooking oil.
- Cook it at least 6 minutes on each side or until the squid is cooked but don't overcook.
- Squid have a tendency to become hard and rubbery. When done slice crosswise and serve with dipping sauce.
- For the dipping sauce, combine soy sauce, red chili pepper, garlic and calamansi juice.