A tasty sweet and sour fish fillet for those who like to eat fish without those tiny fish bones. There are many kinds of fish fillet you can use if you can’t find labahita (surgeon fish) or lapu-lapu (grouper). Substitutes can be cream dory fillet or tilapia fillet since those fishes have white and tasty flesh.
This dish is also very easy to cook. You only have to coat the fish fillet with eggs and bread crumbs before frying and just cooking the sauce with very few ingredients then combine them, the fish and the sauce, then serve hot. To make the sweet and sour sauce, in a saucepan, mix thoroughly the cornstarch and sugar in water. Add in onion, garlic, cucumber(optional), tomato(optional), pineapple juice, vinegar, soy sauce, and margarine. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until the mixture starts to boil. Cook for about 2 minutes more until the sauce thickens then pour over fried fish fillets.
How To Cook Fish Fillet with Sweet and Sour Sauce
For the fish:
- 2 medium size labahita lapu-lapu or maya-maya
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups Japanese bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup cornstarch for coating
- 4 calamansi juice extracted
- 3 eggs beaten
- salt and pepper
- MSG or granulated seasoning
For the Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 1 pc onion quartered
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. margarine
- 1/4 cup cucumber cubed
- 1 pc tomato slices
- 1 pc bell pepper sliced
- Clean the fish and remove the skin. Separate the flesh from the fish bones and cut the fillet into 1 inch crosswise.
- Rub the fillet with calamansi juice, salt, pepper and MSG.
- Before frying, coat with cornstarch then dip in beaten eggs and roll in bread crumbs.
- Deep fry in a medium heat until golden brown. Set aside.
- To make the sauce, in a saucepan mix thoroughly the cornstarch and sugar in 1/4 cup water.
- Add in onion, garlic, cucumber, tomato, bell pepper, pineapple juice, vinegar, soy sauce, and margarine.
- Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until the mixture starts to boil.
- Cook for about 2 minutes more until the sauce thickens then pour over fried fish fillets.
- Serve hot.