Here is a chicken gizzard recipe stir fried in oyster sauce. This recipe is not the usual chicken liver and gizzard with adobo style cooking. And it doesn’t include chicken liver but purely gizzards. This can be serve as a viand or in a sizzling plate as pulutan.
There is an extra step in preparing the chicken gizzard specially if you bought it in the wet market. Usually it is attached with the chicken liver and with some fat on it. But since you only need the gizzards, ask the vendor to give you the gizzards only as much as possible. (In the supermarkets you can buy gizzards only and already cleaned.)
So after you brought it home prepare it by slicing it and removing the contents. There is a yellowish skin on the gizzard which you have to remove. Use a knife by scraping it then rub it in sea salt to remove the mucus and odor. Then boil it with crush garlic and ginger for half an hour. Discard the water then cool.
Unleashing the Unique Chicken Gizzard Dish
When it comes to poultry, chicken gizzards often take a back seat to more popular cuts. However, these humble organs can be transformed into a delectable dish that stands out in both flavor and texture. This Chicken Gizzard Stir Fry recipe, featuring the richness of oyster sauce, promises to tantalize your taste buds in a way that diverges from the usual adobo-style cooking. Here’s a step-by-step guide to elevate your culinary experience.
Cleaning and Boiling Chicken Gizzards: Selecting the Right Gizzards
Begin your journey to culinary excellence by carefully selecting chicken gizzards. If you’re purchasing them from the wet market, request only the gizzards, excluding liver and excess fat. Supermarkets offer a convenient alternative with pre-cleaned gizzards.
Prepping for Perfection
Upon bringing the gizzards home, initiate the preparation process. Remove the yellowish skin by scraping it with a knife. To rid the gizzards of mucus and any lingering odor, rub them with sea salt. Following this, boil the gizzards with crushed garlic and ginger for approximately 30 minutes. Once done, discard the water and let the gizzards cool.
Slicing and Dicing
Start by washing the boiled gizzards thoroughly. Slice them into bite-sized pieces, setting aside the tender goodness for the upcoming stir fry.
In a wok, heat a generous amount of cooking oil until it starts to smoke, creating the perfect canvas for your stir fry masterpiece.
Infuse your dish with aromatic elements by sautéing garlic, ginger strips, and star anise for about a minute. Add onions and continue the stir-fry for an additional minute.
Chicken Gizzard Unveiling
Introduce the sliced chicken gizzards to the wok, allowing them to cook and absorb the flavors for at least 5 minutes.
Oyster Sauce Elegance
The star of the show, oyster sauce, makes its entrance. Stir in the oyster sauce, soy sauce, and half a cup of water, bringing the mixture to a boil. Let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the liquid transforms into a thick, oily sauce, nearly dry.
Elevate the flavor profile by seasoning with ground black pepper, adding sliced chili for a hint of heat. Cook for an additional minute, allowing the ingredients to meld into a harmonious symphony of taste.
Serving Suggestions: From Main Course to Pulutan
This Chicken Gizzard Stir Fry is incredibly versatile. Serve it as a main course alongside steamed rice for a hearty meal, or present it on a sizzling plate for a delightful pulutan experience. The unique texture of gizzards combined with the savory oyster sauce creates a dish that’s sure to leave a lasting impression on your taste buds.
Dive into the world of culinary creativity with this Chicken Gizzard Stir Fry recipe. By deviating from the conventional and embracing the unique flavors and textures of chicken gizzards, you’ll elevate your meals to new heights. Whether you’re a seasoned chef or a home cook looking to impress, this recipe offers a delicious departure from the ordinary, showcasing the often-overlooked star of the show – the chicken gizzard.
How to Cook Chicken Gizzard Stir Fry
- 1 kilo chicken gizzard
- 1/2 head garlic minced
- 1 inch ginger cut into thin strips
- 1/2 inch ginger cut into slivers
- 1 medium size onion chopped
- 2-3 long green chili sliced diagonally
- 3/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1 pc onion chopped
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 pcs star anise optional
- cooking oil
How to cook Chicken Gizzard Stir Fry:
- Wash chicken gizzard thoroughly. Remove the yellowish skin on the gizzard if you bought it from the wet market.
- Then rub the gizzard with rock salt to remove the mucus and odor of the gizzard.
- Place the gizzard in medium size pan and add enough water to cover.
- Add in the crushed garlic, ginger slices, bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender.
- When done discard water and keep aside gizzard to cool down.
- Slice the tender gizzard into bite size, keep aside.
- In a wok heat generous amount of cooking oil until it start to smoke.
- Saute the garlic, ginger strips, star anise for about a minute, add in the onion and continue to stir fry for another minute.
- Add in the chicken gizzard and stir cook for st least 5 minutes.
- Stir in the oyster sauce, soy sauce and 1/2 cup of water bring to a boil and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes stirring occasionally until the liquid turns to a thick oily sauce and almost dry.
- Season with the ground black pepper, add the sliced chili and cook for another minute.
Cooking Tips for Perfect Chicken Gizzard Stir Fry
- Tenderizing Magic: The Boiling Process - Before diving into the stir-frying adventure, ensure your chicken gizzards reach the pinnacle of tenderness. The secret lies in the boiling process. After slicing and cleaning the gizzards, let them simmer in a pot with crushed garlic and ginger for a good 30 minutes. This not only tenderizes the gizzards but also infuses them with a subtle depth of flavor. Remember to discard the water after boiling and allow the gizzards to cool before stir-frying.
- Oil Temperature Matters: Achieving the Perfect Sear -The sizzling sound of ingredients hitting the hot wok is music to a chef's ears, but achieving the perfect sear requires careful attention to oil temperature. Heat a generous amount of cooking oil until it starts to smoke slightly. This ensures that when the gizzards hit the wok, they cook quickly, sealing in their natural juices and creating a delightful caramelization. A well-seared exterior is the key to a flavorful and visually appealing Chicken Gizzard Stir Fry.