Bacsilog is a short cut term for bacon, sinangag (fried rice) at itlog (eggs or fried eggs). Sometimes it is also called baconsilog. This is just one of the combinations of the menu of partnering fried rice and fried eggs with other marinated or deli meats like, ham, tocino, longganisa, luncheon meats, beef or pork tapa, etc. And it is often served at breakfast and it is a heavy breakfast because it is served with fried rice. Using bacon is not really that popular in the past because bacon is more expensive than those I’ve mentioned above so I think customers will prefer a cheaper substitute. But nowadays bacon is common in most supermarkets and there a popular food cart business that serves baconsilog, the Ate Rica’s Bacsilog. The version of their baconsilog is not a traditional one because it smothered with cheese sauce and sprinkled with liquid seasoning. Usually the combination is just fried rice, eggs and meat like tapa or tocino and some tomatoes or atchara.
This recipe is only a copy cat of Ate Rica’s Bacsilog. Not sure what is the recipe of the cheese sauce but the cheese sauce recipe I got here is only a basic one. You can experiment by adding herbs or other spices as per your preference.
How to Cook Bacsilog (Bacon Sinangang at Itlog)
- 250 grams bacon sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 3 raw eggs
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp. cooking oil
- salt to taste
- Cheese sauce see recipe below
- liquid seasoning e.g. Knorr liquid seasoning, Maggi Savor
Ingredients for the cheese sauce:
- 1 Tbsp. butter preferably unsalted
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk or fresh milk
- 1/2 cup water optional
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese preferably quick melt cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make Bacsilog:
- In a pan, heat oil and cook the bacon until slightly brown. You can also make it crispy depending on your preference.
- Remove the bacon from the skillet and set aside. In the same pan, reduce the oil with the rendered bacon fat to 1 Tbsp.
- Heat the oil and saute garlic until fragrant. Add the cooked rice and stir fry for 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the eggs preferable sunny side up (fry the egg but don't cook the yolk and don't flip the eggs) . Or you can fry the eggs over hard (by frying then flipping and frying again cooking the yolk through).
- To assemble the bacsilog: divide the bacon and fried rice into three servings. Put the rice in a bowl, top with fried bacon, then pour about 1/3 cup of cheese sauce and pour with liquid seasoning.
To make the cheese sauce:
- Melt the butter in a pan in medium heat. Whisk in flour and combine it with the butter. Whisk until it becomes a roux. Stir constantly and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Gradually add milk and water 1/4 cup at a time. Whisking constantly and vigorously to incorporate the mixture.
- Cook over low heat until thickened for about 10 minutes. Turn off heat and add the cheese and stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.