Tamales na Dulong Recipe
This recipe is from Ilocos region I, a tamales made from dulong or a small fish found mostly in the northern part of the Philippines. The fresh dulong is wrapped in banana leaves and then poached. Dulong is very common in wet market so you can’t miss it. I’m just not sure what is the English word for that fish because I use to think that they are baby anchovies. But with a little research I found out that it is also called lacustrine goby.
3 cups fresh dulong
2 tsp. ginger, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. onion, sliced
2 tsp. salt
2 cups water
2 Tbsp. calamansi juice
Banana leaves about 7″x12″
How to cook Tamales na Dulong
- Mix the first four ingredients together.
- Place 1/3 cup of the mixture on two layers of banana leaves.
- Wrap in the form of a square and tie with a string.
- Put wrapped tamales in pan and add two cups water.
- Cover and boil 30 minutes over moderate heat.
- Serve with calamansi juice. Good for 6 person.