Steamed Pompano (Talakitok)
This dish is steamed pompano with salted eggs, vegetables and spices wrap in banana leaves or aluminum foil. This recipe is very simple and uses only very few ingredients. And what makes this steamed fish unique is the addition of salted eggs which give a more savory taste. As much as possible, use banana leaves instead of aluminum foil because banana leaves gives food a distinctive aromatic flavor.
- 4 pcs fresh pompano or talakitok (about 200-250 grams each)
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ginger, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. celery, chopped
- 1 pc onion, cut into rings
- 4 pcs tomatoes, quartered
- 2 pcs salted eggs, sliced
- 4 pcs 15'' square banana leaves or aluminum-foil
- Make a diagonal slit on both sides of each fish. Sprinkle fish with salt and ginger.
- Place each in individual foil. Divide celery, onion, tomatoes and salted eggs into four portions.
- Place a portion on top of each fish. Wrap carefully and steam for 45 minutes or until fish is done.