Paksiw na pata is one of the well known Filipino dish. Pork legs or pork hock is braised in vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar and spices. This paksiw dish is very different from the fish paksiw recipes and it turns out that paksiw na pata is similar to adobo but the only difference is the sweet and sour taste.
1 to 1 & 1/2 kilo large pork leg, chopped
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup dried banana blossoms, soaked in water( about ½ cup)
4 tbsp. brown sugar
1 pc. bay leaf
1 tbsp. whole peppercorns
salt to taste
MSG or Vetsin
How to cook paksiw na pata:
- Clean pork leg and chop into serving piece.
- Combine vinegar, garlic, peppercorns and water and boil the pork legs.
- Then add the soaked banana blossoms along with the water used in soaking.
- Simmer pork legs until tender. Pour additional water if needed; To prevent from sticking, stir once in a while.
- Then add the soy sauce and sugar.
- Boil for a few more minutes. Then add the MSG and salt to taste.
- Serve hot. Makes 4 to 6 servings.