Paksiw na Bangus
Paksiw na bangus or stewed milkfish in vinegar is a local favorite specially those on the northern parts of Luzon. Cooking food with vinegar decreases the risk of microorganism contamination. Thus, food with sufficient vinegar are least likely to be suspect in food poisoning. You can also store food longer using vinegar compared to dish without them. It also reduces the fishy odor and improves the flavor of fish dishes.
- 3 medium bangus (cleaned, scaled and halved)
- 4 pcs long green peppers
- 2 small ampalaya, quartered
- 2 cups vinegar
- 2 small eggplants, quartered
- 1 cup water
- 1 small ginger, crushed
- 1 tsp patis ( fish sauce )
- Arrange vegetables at the bottom of casserole.
- Add bangus, ginger and long green peppers. Pour in vinegar.
- Let boil. Lower heat and add in water.
- Let simmer until fish is cooked. Season with patis and serve.