Home Made Corned Beef Chunks
A very simple method of making home made corned beef chunks. The taste is really different from commercial ones usually in cans or frozen and packed in plastic casing. And sometimes you are not sure if they are really using beef and not carabao meat.
- 1 kilo beef (round part)
- ½ cup salt
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ½ cup salitre
- 2 cups water
- Boil all ingredients for 3 minutes. Let it cool. Soak whole meat in boiled solution.
- Inject solution in meat or prick meat all over using fork or ice pick.
- Store in a refrigerator for 2 days, covered with cheese cloth or aluminum foil. Turn and prick each day.
- On the 3rd day, cut in cubes about 1½" size and put back in the solution.
- On the 4th day, wash in clean water. Put in a pan then add water just enough to cover the meat. Boil for 5 minutes then drain.
- Cover again with fresh water and boil until tender. Drain and discard the broth.
- Now you may serve these corned beef chucks garnished with fried vegetables like string beans, carrots or potatoes.
- Or you can add it on chicken pochero or nilaga.