Drunken Shrimp Sotanghon Salad
An easy to make sotanghon salad or vermicelli salad with drunken shrimps. This dish has a similar process of cooking pancit palabok but the difference is there is no yellow sauce, instead, you will prepare a dressing made from fish sauce, lemon juice sugar, shallots and chilies. You also have to cook the drunken shrimp separately with rice wine, genger lemon grass and salt. Then you will garnish it with coriander leaves, lettuce and tomatoes.
1 Tbsp. patis or fish sauce (can be adjusted according to your taste)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp. sugar
2 to 3 siling labuyo or bird’s eye chilies
5 shallots, finely sliced
4 cups water
100 grams sotanghon or vermicelli noodles
3/4 cup drunken shrimps, peeled, head removed (see recipe below)
lettuce for garnishing
1 bunch wansuy (coriander leaves), cut up
red tomatoes for garnishing
How to make Drunken Shrimp Sotanghon Salad:
- To make dressing, combine patis, lemon juice, sugar, siling labuyo and shallots. Set aside.
- Boil 4 cups of water and pour over the sotanghon. Soak for 10 minutes, then drain the noodles and freshen them with a cold water rinse. Drain the sotanghon well.
- In large mixing bowl, put shrimp, sotanghon and dressing. Mix well.
- Allow at least 15 minutes before serving so the flavors can blend.
- Arrange on serving plates, on a bed of lettuce.
- Garnish with wansuy leaves and slices of red tomatoes.
Drunken shrimps recipe:
1 kilo live suahe (small saltwater prawns)
1 large piece of ginger
2 stalks lemon grass
2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup rice wine
To cook drunken shrimps:
- Trim the whiskers off the shrimps. Crush the ginger and lemon grass.
- Place shrimps in a pot with a close-fitting lid. Put in the ginger, lemon grass and salt.
- Pour in the rice wine. If the shrimps are very fresh, they will start jumping out of the pot so cover it quickly.
- Cover over high heat. Shortly after the liquid starts to boil, the shrimp will change color.
- Shake the pan or stir cook so each of the shrimps will cook evenly but keep the pot covered most of the time.
- The moment all the shrimps are bright orange, remove the pot from the fire and transfer the shrimps to a serving plate.