Chicken and Pork Afritada
This afritada dish is a combination of chicken and pork. And this chicken and pork afritada don’t use tomato sauce, instead it uses fresh tomatoes. The tomatoes are cooked until very soft together with the onion. Cooking is also very straightforward and easy.
After cooking the tomatoes, set aside. The next step is you have to brown the chicken meat in oil. Combine the browned chicken with the cooked tomatoes and the liquid. Add garlic, bay leaves and vinegar. Simmer until chicken is half cooked. Add potatoes and cook until tender. Then add the bell pepper in the last few minutes of cooking. Season with salt and pepper to taste. This is just a summary of cooking chicken and pork afritada. To see the complete list of ingredients with exact measurements and the rest of the recipe, continue reading.
- 1 kilo chicken, cut into serving pieces
- ½ kilo pork kasim (shoulder), cubed
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 1½ kilos very ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 1 whole head garlic, pricked all over with a toothpick
- 2 pieces bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons native vinegar
- 4 pieces potatoes, quartered
- 2 red peppers, cut into strips
- 2 green peppers, cut into strips
- salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper
- In a large casserole, brown meat. Remove, and set aside.
- Slice onions and tomatoes and cook till tomatoes are very soft.
- Return meat. Add whole garlic, bay leaves and vinegar. Simmer till meat is half cooked.
- Add potatoes and cook till tender. Add red and green peppers in the last few minutes of cooking.
- Season with salt and pepper. 8 servings.