Chicken and Pork Afritada
This afritada dish is a combination of chicken and pork. And this chicken and pork afritada don’t use tomato sauce, instead it used fresh tomatoes. The tomatoes are cooked until very soft together with the onion. Cooking is also very straightforward and easy.
Then the next step is you have to brown the chicken meat in oil. Combine the browned chicken with the cooked tomatoes and the liquid. Add garlic, bay leaves and vinegar. Simmer until chicken is half cooked. Add potatoes and cooked until tender. Then add the bell pepper in the last few minutes of cooking. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 1 kilo chicken, cut into serving pieces
- ½ kilo pork kasim (shoulder), cubed
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 1½ kilos very ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 1 whole head garlic, pricked all over with a toothpick
- 2 pieces bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons native vinegar
- 4 pieces potatoes, quartered
- 2 red peppers, cut into strips
- 2 green peppers, cut into strips
- salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper
- In a large casserole, brown meat. Remove, and set aside.
- Slice onions and tomatoes and cook till tomatoes are very soft.
- Return meat. Add whole garlic, bay leaves and vinegar. Simmer till meat is half cooked.
- Add potatoes and cook till tender. Add red and green peppers in the last few minutes of cooking.
- Season with salt and pepper. 8 servings.