Beef Tapa with Atchara
This is an easy beef tapa recipe with papaya atchara (pickled grated papaya). Best served with fried rice and fried egg. The dish is usually called “tapsilog” meaning tapa, sinangag (fried rice) and itlog (egg).
1 kilo sirloin beef, sliced thin
2 tablespoons soy sauce
4 tablespoons salt
1+1/2 tablespoons sugar
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon pepper
How to make Beef Tapa with Atchara:
- Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Keep in the refrigerator for at least 2 days before frying.
For the Acharra:
1 medium green papaya, grated
1 small carrot, grated or cut into flower shapes
1 green pepper, cut into fine strips
1 small bunch shallots (sibuyas tagalog), peeled
For pickling solution:
2 teaspoons ginger, cut into fine strips
1 cup vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup rock salt
- In a bowl put all vegetables together.
- Sprinkle with rock salt and let stand for a few hours or overnight.
- Squeeze out excess liquid from the vegetables and rinse in water to remove salt.
- Put all pickling solution ingredients together.
- Stir till sugar and salt are dissolvd.
- Pack vegetables in jars and pour vinegar mixture to cover.
- Refrigerate. Serve 2-3 days later.