Arroz Con Coliflor
If you are looking for a vegetable paella, I think this recipe I have here arroz con coliflor or cauliflower paella is what you are looking for. This paella is also suited for vegetarians but since it contains beef or pork bones for the soup stock, some vegetarians may refrain eating this. But if you are just considering this dish for health reasons, then I think this is perfect for you.
For the soup stock:
Beef or pork bones or combination
1 carrot, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 large onion, quartered
1/2 tsp. peppercorns
1/4 cup olive oil
1 head garlic, crushed
2 medium onions, chopped
2 cups California rice
4-5 cups soup stock
1/2 kilo cauliflower divided into florets
1/2 cup garbanzos, cooked
1-2 tsp. curry powder
1/4 tsp. saffron
salt and pepper to taste
2 pcs hard boiled eggs, sliced
How to cook Arroz Con Coliflor:
- In a casserole, put all soup stock ingredients together and add enough water (at least 6 cups) to cover.
- Simmer over low fire for 2 hours. Strain broth.
- In a paellera or large skillet, heat olive oil, saute garlic, and onions, add rice and cook until it becomes opaque.
- Add the soup stock. Arrange the cauliflower and garbanzos on top, sprinkle curry powder and saffron and season with salt and pepper.
- Slice Chorizo de Bilbao may be added if you wish. Cook the rice for about 20 minutes. Garnish with the sliced eggs.