Arroz a la Valenciana
1-1/2 cup glutinous rice (malagkit)
1-1/2 cup white rice
1-1/2 tsp. salt
5 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup oil
1 young chicken cut into serving pieces
1/4 kg. pork, cut into serving pieces
2 tbsp. garlic, macerated
1 large onion, sliced
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
1 tbsp. salt
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1/4 tsp. paprika
2 Tbsp. atchuete seeds or annato seeds
6 potatoes, quartered and fried
1 small can sweet peas
1 red-sweet pepper, sliced
2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
How to cook arroz ala valenciana
- Boil the malagkit-rice mixture, salt, and coconut milk in a saucepan. Stir once in a while to prevent burning.
- Fry the chicken-pork pieces in hot oil; set aside.
- In the same fat, render off color from atchuete seeds; discard seeds.
- Saute garlic, onion, and add tomato sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the fried meat and simmer until tender.
- Add the rice mixture; blend well. Add the rest of the ingredients and combine lightly.
- Arrange on a platter and garnish with hard-boiled eggs and strips of parsley.
- Good for 12 persons.