Alimasag (Blue Crabs) at Langka sa Gata (Crabs and Jackfruit in Coconut Milk)
Alimasag at Langka sa Gata is blue crabs cooked in coconut milk with flaked jackfruit meat and spices. Cooking this recipe is simple and does not require sauteing. Just combining all the ingredients in a pot and cook. The only tricky part is cutting the blue crabs in four pieces because of the hard shell of those crustacean. I usually remove the abdominal covering also called “apron” or tail before I chop it with a cleaver. Just be careful not to splatter the internal organs of those crabs when chopping them.
500 ml coconut milk
1 kilo blue crabs, cut in four
300 grams flaked unripe jackfruit meat
1 Tbsp. Lea & Perrins
1 small onion, sliced
50 gms ginger, julienned
500 ml coconut cream
6 pcs lemongrass
50 gms small green chili pepper
2 tsp. garlic, minced
salt and pepper
How to cook Alimasag at Langka Sa Gata:
- Place coconut milk, jackfuit, onion, ginger, lemongrass and garlic in a casserole and boil over moderate heat for 10 minutes.
- Add crabs and season with salt, pepper and Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce.
- Reduce heat, cover and allow to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside and keep hot.
- In a separate pan, bring coconut cream to a boil and cook, stirring vigorously until cream is thick enough to coat a spoon.
- Pour cream over mixture, add green chili peppers and simmer for about 5 minutes or more.
- Serve while hot. Serves 3 to 4.