Adobong Hito (Stewed Catfish)
3 medium sized hito (catfish)
1 small head garlic, crushed
1/4 cup yellow ginger juice
3/4 cup native vinegar
1/2 cup pork lard
Salt and Pepper
How to cook Adobong Hito
- In the market, have the head and gills of the fish removed.
- Also remove the internal organs of the fish and wash it well.
- Let stand in vinegar for 30 minutes, drain and rub with coarse salt till slimy coating is removed.
- Rinse in vinegar again then wash fish in water.
- In a bowl marinate the fish in garlic, ginger juice and enough vinegar to cover.
- Let stand for an hour. Drain and reserve marinade.
- Heat pork lard and fry fish until crisp. Remove fish from pan and put out excess lard.
- Pour in the marinade and bring to a boil, simmer uncovered till the vinegar evaporates.
- Add hito and continue cooking till oil is clear.