This is simple fish sinigang recipe made with tilapia fish and the souring agent used is tamarind. The cooking procedure is as simple as the other fish sinigang you can find. Unlike other meat based sinigang, the cooking time is very short and only requires 2 to 3 minutes specially if it is only fish fillet. I think this is the cheapest fish sinigang you can make since tilapia, compared to other fishes, is abundant and you can see it almost everyday in the wet market. There are different breeds of tilapia if you are not aware of and my suggestion is choose the ones that does not taste muddy or too fishy. Since this dish is a soup, it will be very unpleasant if you get the kind of tilapia that taste muddy. And for you to make the rice wash, it is just simply getting the water from the raw rice while washing it. But first discard the first washing. The second and third will be used.
How to Cook Sinigang na Tilapia
- 1 kilo tilapia cleaned, scales and innards removed and cut into 2 pcs each
- 3 pcs tomatoes quartered
- 1 pc onion quartered
- 2 pcs green chilies or siling haba
- 1 thumb sized ginger sliced
- 150 grams sampalok tamarind fruit
- 3/4 cup talbos ng kamote sweet potato leaves
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. patis or fish sauce
- 1 pcs small radish slice diagonally
- 6 cups rice wash or rice water
- pepper to taste
How to cook Sinigang na Tilapia:
- In a pot, bring the rice wash to a boil. Then put the onions, tomatoes and ginger. Boil for another 2 minutes and cover.
- Then add the tamarind fruit and boil again for another 2 minutes or until the tamarind is soft. Remove from the pot and put in a small bowl. Press the tamarind using a spoon to crush the fruit.
- Get some soup from the pot and pour on the tamarind. Extract the juice from the tamarind while pressing the fruit in the strainer directly above the pot. Discard the seeds and peel. Then add the tilapia and radish in the pot and bring to a boil.
- While the soup is boiling add in the siling haba, kamote tops, patis and pepper. Cover and boil for another 3 minutes or until done. Serve hot.
Leave a Reply