Sinaing na tuligan is a kind of braised fish or the local favorite “paksiw na isda” where the fish is cooked using a very small amount of liquid such as vinegar. But this sinaing na tulingan uses tamarind juice as the liquid to cook the fish. The fish is place on top of the pork fat which is layered on the bottom of the pot.
Then poured with tamarind juice along with the rest of the spices and flavorings. It is simmered until the fish is cooked and a very small amount of liquid remains and the pork fat has melted and mixed with the liquid. In serving this dish, you can eat it as-is or you can fry it first then serve. By the way, in preparing the tulingan before cooking, you should not forget to remove the toxin from the base of the tail. It is removed by twisting the tail and pulling it.
How to Cook Sinaing na Tulingan
- 1/2 kilo tulingan Skipjack tuna
- 2 tablespoons rock salt
- 50 grams pork fat sliced into strips
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup tamarind juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 thumbsize ginger crushed
- 2 pieces siling mahaba
- 1/2 cup water
How to cook Sinaing Na Tulingan
- Remove gills and all internal organs of the fish. Slit both sides of the fish and press against the sides with palms of the hands to flatten the fish and soften its flesh. Wash thoroughly under running water, till water runs clear. Rub fish with salt in and out.
- In a saucepan, arrange the pork fat at the bottom. Put the fish on top side by side. Add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes till fish is done.
For the tamarind juice:
- Boil 100 grams of tamarind in 1/2 cup water and strain.