This fried lumpia recipe I have here is similar to lumpiang shanghai but it is quite unique because it has a pork asado filling. If you are craving for a pork asado siopao and fried lumpia, why not combine them and make a fried lumpia with asado filling? Not only it as a unique filling, it is also coated with sesame seeds for extra crunchiness. Anyway the filling is not composed of only pork asado. It also has veggies like bamboo shoots and mushrooms.
How to Cook Fried Lumpia with Pork Asado Filling
- 1/2 cup fresh shrimps shelled
- 1 1/2 cup pork asado sliced (see recipe below)
- 8 pcs dried Chinese mushrooms soaked in hot water for an hour, drain and slice into strips
- 1 cup bamboo shoots blanched and sliced into thin strips
- 1 tsp. rice wine
- 2 pcs egg yolks
- 2 tsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 14 pcs large lumpia wrappers
- 2 pcs egg white lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 cup cooking oil
Recipe for the pork asado:
- 1 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp. garlic
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. onion chopped
- 1 1/2 cup pork belly, sliced
- 3 1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 pcs. bay leaves
To make the pork asado:
- To prepare the pork asado, saute garlic and onion in oil until soft and fragrant.
- Add liempo and stir-fry for 5 minutes. Mix soy sauce, brown sugar and vinegar in a bowl.
- Pour into sauteed meat. Add bay leaves and simmer for about 20 minutes or until meat is tender.
To make the Fried Lumpia with Pork Asado Filling:
- Combine the first 9 ingredients in a bowl; shrimps, pork asado, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, rice wine, egg yolks, flour, pepper and salt.
- Wrap 1/4 cup of the meat filling in each lumpia wrapper. Brush with white egg and roll in sesame seeds.
- Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown. Drain in pepper towels to remove excess oil.
- Serve hot with vinegar and crushed garlic dipping sauce.