Beef teriyaki is one of the popular Japanese dishes that are known worldwide. This is similar to our local beef tapa but the only difference is, it is sweet because of the teriyaki sauce and the beef is usually thinly sliced. I think it is closely resemble the beef bulgogi in appearance but again the main difference is the sweet teriyaki sauce. This is actually very simple to cook and I think you might have the assumption that is it hard to cook because it is served usually in a Japanese restaurant or fast food. Some basic skills in cooking is all you need to cook this recipe. The recipe here also has teriyaki sauce recipe so you don’t need to buy a commercial ready made teriyaki sauce.
- frying pan
- 500 grams beef sirloin sliced thinly into strips
- 3 to 5 Tbsp. teriyaki sauce
- 1 Tbsp. calamansi juice
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds toasted
- spring onions for garnishing
Ingredients for teriyaki sauce:
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. sake or dry sherry
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 dash of ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. ginger grated
How to cook Beef Teriyaki:
- Marinate the beef with calamansi juice, soy sauce and pepper for an hour.
- Heat cooking oil in a pan and stir fry the beef in low heat until golden brown. Pour in the teriyaki sauce, marinade and water. Cover and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes until tender.
- Adjust the seasoning by adding more teriyaki sauce or water according to your preference.
- Turn off heat and sprinkle with sesame seeds and stir. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with spring onions.
How to make teriyaki sauce:
- Heat a pan and pour in water, sake and soy sauce. Stir and add the white and brown sugar while stirring.
- Add in the garlic and ginger until the liquid starts boiling. Then turn off heat. Pass through a strainer while transferring it to a bowl. Cool and set aside for use in cooking your beef teriyaki.