This sweet adobong pusit recipe is absolutely delicious and you will never thought that adobong pusit can be leveled up and made as tasty as this one. I think the secret ingredient here are the combination of garlic, onion, ginger and sugar which I usually used in making stir-fried crabs. If you don’t want to use the ink sac in cooking this dish, you can remove it while cleaning the squid or you can just use few ink sac to make the color of the sauce lighter. Also, if you are wondering why it is named Dampa style its because this squid adobo is also served in Dampa seafood restaurant. But don’t expect that this is the exact recipe because its only a copy cat dish and might vary in taste or the cooking style.
How to Cook Adobong Pusit Dampa Style
- 1 kilo medium sized fresh squid
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium sized onion chopped
- 1 thumb sized ginger chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 2 pcs green chili peppers siling panigang
- patis to taste
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cooking oil
- pepper to taste
- spring onions or kinchay chopped (for garnishing)
How to cook Squid Adobo Dampa Style:
- Clean the squid by removing the transparent plastic-like backbone inside the squid. Remove the innards but retain the ink sac. Remove the also the beak in the middle of the tentacles by squeezing the head. Wash in running water and drain.
- Just be careful not the press the eyes of the squid or it will burst. If the squid are large or just prefer to slice it, you can also slice the squid into rings.
- Heat oil in the pan and saute garlic and onion until fragrant. Then add the ginger and green chili peppers and saute for a minute.
- Immediately add the fresh squid, soy sauce and vinegar. Do not stir. Bring to a boil then cook the squid for about 3 minutes without covering the pan.
- Remove the squid from the liquid and set aside. Continue to boil the liquid in the pan and add sugar. Let it boil until the liquid evaporates and slightly thick in consistency.
- Then put back the squid and stir. Let it cook for a minute more while stirring then turn off heat. Serve hot and garnish with chopped spring onions.