Whole Chicken Soup
This recipe is similar to the nilagang manok but the only difference is the vegetables used and instead of cut up chicken, whole chicken is utilized. Boiling the whole chicken give a more flavorful soup and with the addition of ham bone, it will give a better taste.
1 Whole dressed chicken about 1 & 1/2 Kilo
2 Tbsp. cooking oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped into medium sized rounds
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, cut into 2 inch length
1 ham bone
6 black pepper corns
2 potatoes, cut into 4 pcs each
1 cup elbow macaroni (optional)
Patis or fish sauce
How to cook whole chicken soup:
- Wash the chicken on runner water and remove excess fats or other parts if not properly dressed when you bought it from the wet market or supermarket.
- Parts like the esophagus, small feathers and the yellowish oil gland at the base of the tail should be removed.
- Rub chicken with rock salt inside and out to remove the odor. The after a few minutes rinse the chicken on running water and drain. Set aside.
- In a deep pot (be sure the chicken fits inside the pot) , heat oil in a medium heat and saute garlic, onion, carrot and celery until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the whole chicken in the pot and enough water to barely cover the chicken.
- Drop the ham bone, pepper corns and potatoes. Let it boil until the scum floats on the surface.
- Gently skim off the scum. Lower the heat to medium-low and cover the pot partially.
- Let it simmer until chicken is cooked. If you are going to add macaroni, put it when the chicken is nearly cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired and adjust the if necessary.
- Serve with calamansi and patis.