Tortang Halaan sa Dahon ng Saging (Clam Omelette in Banana Leaves)
Tortang Halaan is actually clam omelette but the added steps are putting the halaan omelette in banana leaves and then fried. The banana leaves gives savory flavor and aroma to cooked dishes.
2 kilos clams (Halaan)
3 whole eggs, beaten
2 Tbsp. cooking oil
1 head garlic, crushed
2 pcs onion, chopped
3 pcs tomatoes, chopped
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper, ground
1 cup cooking oil for frying
How to cook Tortang Halaan sa Dahon ng Saging:
- Soak clams in water with 1 Tbsp salt for a few hours, depending on how clean the clams are, sometimes you have to soak them for several hours to remove all the sands and mud out of the clams.
- In a pot, boil some water and drop the halaan or clams until they are half opened.
- Cool and drain then remove the meat from the shell.
- Then chop the meat finely and transfer to a bowl then add the beaten eggs. Set aside.
- In a saucepan heat oil then saute garlic until light brown.
- Add in the onions and tomatoes until soft. Then add the clam meat-beaten egg mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir cook for a few minutes until the omelet solidify.
- Cut the banana leaves 9 inch strips. Roll over heat to wilt the banana leaves.
- Wrap 2 Tbsp. of the sauteed mixture in the center of two banana leaves strips arranged like a cross, one horizontally and the other diagonally on the top.
- Do the same for the rest of the mixture.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry each wrapped halaan for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with ketchup.