This recipe is stuffed milk fish with spices and vegetables, marinated then wrap in banana leaves and deep fried. The cooking method is very similar to stuffed grilled milkfish wrapped in banana leaves. The milk fish is also stuffed with a medicinal herb called “alagaw” leaves or Fragrant premna leaves.
1 pc fresh, bangus, milk-fish, medium-size
1 pc onion, chopped
4 pcs tomatoes, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
4-5 pcs young alagaw leaves, mashed
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 pc banana leaf 1 foot-wide
1/3 cup vinegar
2-3 Tbsp. soy sauce
How to cook Tiim na Bangus
- Cut bangus at the back, from head to tail.
- Remove gills and entrails. Wash well.
- In a bowl, combine onion, tomatoes, garlic and mashed alagaw leaves.
- Let mixture stay for about 5 minutes.
- Stuff the bangus with the marinated mixture.
- Wrap in banana leaf and simmer in vinegar-soy sauce for 15 minutes.
- Pat dry bangus in absorbent paper towel.
- Deep-fry while still wrapped in banana leaf until fish is golden brown.
- Unwrap and place on a serving platter. Pour the vinegar-soy sauce mixture.
- lf desired, the fish can be served with the vinegar-soy sauce as individual dip. Serve hot.