Stuffed Crab in Coconut Milk (Rellenong Alimasag sa Gata)
This stuffed blue crabs recipe consist of ground pork and coconut meat, spices and than stewed in coconut milk. Among the kinds of stuffed crabs, the claws and feet are not removed, just the top hard shell and the crab meat. Then it is stuffed again with the crab meat mixture and enclosed with the shell and tied together with the lower part of the crab, the part that had claws and fingers. Then it is stewed in coconut milk.
1 kilo blue crabs or alimasag (4-5 pieces)
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 kilo ground pork
1 cup buko, scraped with a spoon and chopped coarsely
salt to taste
freshly ground pepper
1 thumb size piece of ginger
1 teaspoon siling labuyo, chopped (optional)
2 to 3 cups coconut milk
How to cook Stuffed Crab in Coconut Milk
- Steam the crabs. Carefully remove the shell and flake the meat.
- Do not remove the claws and the legs.
- In a bowl, combine the crabmeat, onion, garlic, ground pork, buko, egg and salt and pepper.
- To test the seasoning, make a small patty and fry.
- Return the crab meat mixture to the shells.
- Tie securely with string and carefully arrange in a covered casserole.
- Pour the coconut milk, add the ginger and siling labuyo and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer the first ten minutes, then uncover and continue cooking until sauce thickens.
* Left over stuffing makes a tasty filling for cocktail sized spring rolls.