Steamed Fried Chicken (Pinsangawang Pritong Manok)
Steamed chicken is a healthier than fried chicken obviously because the fat content is not as much as frying the chicken. Steaming food preserves the flavor. But some people dislike steamed chicken because it looks and sometimes taste bland specially when they taste the skin. It looks and taste half cooked. The recipe I have here is frying the chicken first them steaming it. Quite contrary to the usual cooking of steaming it first to ensure everything or every part of the chicken is cooked. Not having fresh blood on the inside and the joints. I think this is a must try if you want to cook something different.
1 whole chicken (dressed)
2 stalks celery and leeks
1 cup cream of mushroom soup
3 tbsps. butter
4 tbsps. flour
salt and pepper
chicken stock from steamer
giblets, liver, heart
How to cook Steamed Fried Chicken:
- Prepare chicken for roasting. Wipe dry and season inside and out with salt, MSG, and pepper.
- Dust chicken with flour and fry in hot lard.
- Clean giblet. liver and heart and rub with salt.
- Lay the chicken, back downwards on a bed of celery and leeks in a steamer.
- Add the giblet, liver and heart. Steam until done.
- Get the giblet, liver and heart from the steamer and chop.
- To make gravy: Heat butter in a saucepan and stir in flour.
- When brown, pour liquid from the steamer, stirring constantly, adding a little water if it is too thick.
- Add chopped giblets, liver and heart and cream of mushrooms.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve the steamed chicken chopped or whole and serve also with the gravy.
- Good for 8 persons.