Sambal Roasted Chicken
Sambal roasted chicken is a Malaysian dish and the cooking is quite different from the local charcoal roasted chicken we know (lechon manok). It is more of a baked chicken and it is half cooked first in coconut milk with spices then it is roasted in an oven until cooked.
For the spice paste:
6 pcs shallots
1 1/2 inch ginger, slice into strips
3 cloves garlic, crushed
8 pcs dried red chili, seeded and soaked
2 Tbsp. ground coriander
1 Tbsp. cumin
3 Tbsp. oil
For the chicken:
1-1/2 cup coconut milk
4 kaffir lime leaves
2 stalks lemongrass
1 chicken, cut into halves
4 slices ginger
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. Muscovado sugar
How to cook Sambal Roast Chicken:
- Pound all the paste ingredients together in mortar and pestle except oil to obtain a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the spice paste and stir-fry for 10 minutes until fragrant.
- Add coconut milk. lime leaves, lemongrass, ginger, salt and sugar. Stir well.
- Add chicken and cook for 25 minutes over low heat; turn chicken a few times until chicken is half cooked.
- Transfer chicken to a roasting pan and pour sauce all over chicken.
- Preheat oven to 300 °. Roast chicken for 15 minutes or until browned.