3/4 kilo pork, cubed
1/2 kilo chicken, cubed
4 cup water
1 bunch spring onions
1 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. cooking oil
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 pc onion, chopped
1 pc chorizo de bilbao, sliced
4-5 cup broth
4 pcs potatoes, pared and quartered
4 pcs ripe saba or plantain banana, peeled and sliced
1 can garbanzos, chickpeas
1 can tomato sauce
1 small cabbage head, wedged
1/4 cup evaporated milk (optional)
How to cook pochero
- In a medium saucepan, boil pork and chicken in water with spring onions and salt until tender.
- Drain meats and reserve broth. Heat oil and sauté garlic and onion until soft.
- Add the meats and chorizo de bilbao. Stir-fry. Pour the broth and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the potatoes, bananas and garbanzos.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Pour tomato sauce. Add cabbage and continue simmering for a few minutes.
- If desired, stir in milk. Serve hot with eggplant sauce(search this site). Serves 10.