Paklay (Pork Meat and Innards Stew)
This pork meat and innards stew recipe is from Southern Mindanao Region 11 (Davao). Known as paklay, it is composed of pork meat, usually the pork belly, and pork innards such as kidney, spleen, heart and liver, pineapple chunks, bell peppers, vinegar and salt.
- ½ cup each of cooked and sliced pork (liempo), kidney, spleen, heart and liver
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- ¼ cup native vinegar
- 2 cups broth (from boiled pork, beef or chicken)
- 1 cup cubed, unripe pineapple
- ¾ cup sliced green and red pepper
- 2½ teaspoons salt
- Sauté garlic, ginger, onion until fragrant.
- Add the pork and variety meats and continue sauteing until the meat is slightly brown.
- Add vinegar and broth. Bring to a boil. Simmer until the meat is tender.
- Add pineapple and pepper. Season with salt.
- Cook for 5 minutes longer. Serve hot. 6 servings.