Laing na Hipon (Shrimps with Taro Leaves)
This recipe is a version of laing that you wrap a shrimp mixture made from shrimps, grated young coconut and salt then wrapped in taro root leaves then cooked in coconut milk with chili peppers and onions. This is also called pinangat in Bicol region but this is only a variation of the dish because meat is the usual filling used in pinangat.
- ½ kilo hipon (shrimps), shelled and chopped finely
- 1 cup thin coconut milk (reserve thick coconut milk)
- 2 small young coconuts, grated
- 2 pcs siling labuyo (hot chili peppers)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 10 to 15 pcs wilted gabi leaves (taro root leaves)
- Mix hipon with onion, grated coconuts and salt.
- Wrap about 1 tablespoon of shrimp mixture in gabi leaves.
- Arrange in a pot. Pour thin coconut milk overwrapped mixture.
- Cover. Simmer over low fire.
- Shake pot to avoid burning of wrapped mixture.
- Add thick coconut milk and siling labuyo when slightly cooked.
- Continue cooking until sauce thickens. Serve while hot.