Fish Kare-Kare (Labahita)
3/4 kilo labahita, deboned and cut into large cubes
2 tbsp rice flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup toasted peanuts, pounded
6 cloves garlic, crushed
3 heads native pechay
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp calamansi juice
5 strings sitaw (l00g), cut into 2″ pieces
1/3 tsp iodized salt or 1 tsp rock salt
1 medium puso ng saging (banana heart), sliced
1/4 tsp pepper
3 medium eggplants, sliced
1 to 1/2 cups water
1 tbsp atsuete juice
1 tsp sugar
1 can (140 g) Del Monte
oil for frying
Bagoong alamang or shrimp paste (sauteed)
How to cook Fish Kare-Kare
- Marinate labahita cubes in calamansi juice, iodized or rock salt and pepper for 30 minutes.
- Coat each piece with cornstarch, then fry in oil until golden brown. Set aside.
- Saute onion and garlic in oil. Add water, sitaw, puso ng saging, eggplant and atsuete juice.
- Season with salt, pepper and sugar according to taste. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except fish.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until pechay is cooked.
- Add fish just before serving. Serve with sauteed bagoong alamang.