Clam Hash Cakes
This is a unique way of making hash brown, these hash cakes are made out of potatoes and clam meat. You can serve this as an appetizer or you can also serve it as a viand accompanied by steamed rice or fried rice. And with regards to horse radish, it resembles the taste of wasabi. So if you can’t find horse radish wasabi can be a substitute. Actually, since fresh wasabi is so expensive, horse radish is often used in making wasabi paste.
48 small clams (tulya, halaan or any edible clam variety) to make 1 cup clam meat
1/4 kilo sliced bacon, chopped
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 kilo potatoes, peeled, chopped fine and reserved in a bowl of cold water
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
3 large eggs, beaten lightly
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon bottled horse radish
1 teaspoon fresh lemon or calamansi juice
How to cook Clam Hash Cakes:
- Steam clams with 1 cup water in a covered kettle over high heat, shaking the kettle occassionally, for 7-8 minutes, or until shells open. Discard any unopened shells. Let clams cool, then remove the meat and discard the shells. Mince the meat.
- In a skillet, cook bacon over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp and golden brown. With slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Reserve bacon fat in a small heat-proof bowl.
- In the skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the reserved fat over moderately low heat and cook onions until soft. Transfer onions to a large bowl.
- Drain potatoes well and pat dry. In the skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the reserved fat over moderately high heat. Cook potatoes, stirring, until tender, then transfer to bowl with onions. Stir in bacon, clams, 1 tablespoon of the parsley, eggs, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend thoroughly. Heat a large griddle or heavy skillet over moderately high heat. brush hot griddle with some of the reserved fat. Drop several 1/4 cups of clam mixture onto griddle and with a fork, pat into neat 1/4 inch thick cakes. Cook cakes, 1 minute on each side, or until golden brown.
- Repeat with remaining clam mixture. (The cakes may be made several hours in advance, kept loosely covered on a baking sheet and re-heated in a preheated 300 ° F oven).
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over moderately low heat. Stir in horseradish, the remaining 1 tablespoon parsley and lemon juice. Drizzle over clam hash cakes. Garnish cakes with lemon slices and parsley sprigs if desired. Serve 8.