Chicken Asado with Sweet Potatoes
Chicken asado with sweet potatoes is another variation of the popular chicken asado. Instead of the usual potatoes used when cooking this chicken dish, sweet potato or “kamote” is used. There are also many variants of sweet potatoes but I suggest using the orange colored potatoes which will make the dish more delicious. The orange sweet potatoes looks like an ordinary root crop, the color of the peel is pale or beige but inside it resembles a carrot.
This chicken asado is a tomato sauce based dish but since it has soy sauce you will not notice that it contains tomato sauce because the sauce is brown. Unlike other tomato based dishes that it is obvious because of the reddish colored sauce. This is also a very simple dish and uses only few ingredients like chicken, tomato sauce, soy sauce, sweet potatoes, calamansi juice, onion and garlic.
- 1 kilo chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ Tbsp. calamansi juice
- 3 pcs bay leaves
- 3 medium size sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- cooking oil for frying and sauteing
- 1 medium size onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash chicken and drain. Put chicken in a cooking pot and add bay leaves, calamansi juice, soy sauce and tomato sauce.
- Stir the chicken with the ingredients. Turn on heat and cover the pot. Then bring it to a boil.
- Stir occasionally to prevent the chicken from sticking on the bottom of the pot.
- Adjust the heat to low and simmer the chicken for about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, fry the sweet potatoes until slightly brown and cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the sauce, reserve and set aside the sauce for later use.
- Then fry the chicken until brown. Drain and set aside.
- In another pan, heat 2 tablespoons cooking oil and saute garlic and onion until fragrant and soft.
- Then pour in the marinade/sauce from the cooked chicken and mix with the sauteed garlic and onion.
- Stir and bring the mixture into a boil. Add in the fried chicken first then the fried sweet potatoes then stir to coat well with the sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir cook and simmer until the chicken and sweet potatoes absorbed most of the sauce.
- Serve hot with steamed rice. Enjoy!
Watch the Video on How To Cook Chicken Asado with Potatoes