Arroz a la Cubana is a Spanish dish consisting of white rice, fried egg, fried bananas and tomato sauce and does not include meat. The Filipino version of arroz a la cubana is quite distinctive because it contains sauteed ground meat usually pork and beef. This is a really nice and complete meal which you can eat during breakfast which is a bit heavy and also you can eat it for lunch or dinner. You can use plantain or saba bananas, but I think saba is more preferable.
1/4 kilo ground pork
1/4 kilo ground beef
2 tbsp. cooking oil
1 tbsp. garlic, minced
1 tbsp. small onion, sliced thinly
1 large tomato, sliced
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
1 tsp. salt
6 cups newly cooked rice, molded using the cups
1 fried saba banana, sliced crosswise
1/2 cup boiled sweet potatoes ( peeled and cut into cubes )
1 fried egg ( sunny side up )
How to cook arroz ala cubana:
- Sauté the garlic, sliced tomato and onions in oil.
- Then add the ground beef and pork until slightly brown and cooked.
- Add the other ingredients, raisins, pepper and salt.
- In a plate arrange the molded rice in a circular fashion and put the cooked meat in the center.
- Garnish with bananas, sweet potatoes and fried egg on top. Serve hot.