This is a recipe of a blood sausage or longanisang dugo. It is a sausage made from ground pork, fat and pork blood and of course some spices, flavorings and preservative. It is not as popular as the pork longanisa which only uses ground pork maybe because we already have the pork dinuguan dish which is a popular Filipino blood stew dish.
Longganisa Dugo (Blood Sausage)
- 1 kilo lean ground pork
- 1 kilo pork fat chopped
- 5 Tablespoons Ilocano vinegar basi (sugarcane wine) or cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fine ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups pork blood
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground or grated nutmeg
- 150 grams onions chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon saltpeter or Prague powder
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- sausage casing
How to cook longganisa dugo:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients except the casing. Mix well.
- In a large pan, saute the mixture by batch until half cooked. The meat will render oil as it cooks.
- Pour out the oil from each batch before cooking the next. Set aside to let cool then stuff the mixture into the casing. Tie 3 inch portions with string.
- Poach the sausages in simmering water for 3 minutes then remove at once.
- Hang the sausages to dry in the kitchen or in a dry storage area away from flies or rodents.
- To serve, fry the sausages in hot oil until crisp and browned or grill over hot coals. Makes 25