Ubad is the inner most part of the banana stalk. It is the thinnest and softest part of the banana tree. Even though banana trees are found almost everywhere in the Philippines, not many are familiar with this vegetable. This is a very simple chicken dish and if you want to make it taste better, use native chicken.
To cook chicken with ubod; Wash ubod and slice thinly. Saute garlic and onion. Add the chicken pieces. Season with salt and soy sauce. Add 1 and 1/2 cups of water Boil for 20 minutes. Add ubod and boil until cooked.
- 1 chicken, cut into 8-10 pieces
- 3 cup ubad ng saging (heart of banana stalk)
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil
- 2 tbsp. onion, sliced
- 1 tsp. garlic crushed
- salt to taste
- soy sauce to taste
- Wash ubod and slice thinly. Saute garlic and onion.
- Add the chicken pieces.
- Season with salt and soy sauce.
- Add 1 and ½ cups of water Boil for 20 minutes.
- Add ubod and boil until cooked. Serve hot. Good for 6-8 persons