This pork dish is very easy to cook but you will not believe how tasty it is when it is already cooked and served. You might think this is pork bistek because of the onion rings, but if you will ask me, it is tastier then pork bistek. I think what makes this tastier is the method of cooking and the addition of cooking rice wine. With the extra step of braising the pork, the flavor is enhanced specially on meat dishes like this. And also the rice wine which help to enhance meat dishes which are mostly used in cooking Chinese dishes.
How to Cook Braised Pork with Onion Rings
- 1 kilo pork shoulder or pork butt kasim, slice into large chunks
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 pcs red onions chopped
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp. black peppercorns ground
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. fresh calamansi juice
- 2 Tbsp. cooking rice wine optional
- 1 liter boiling water
- 2 pcs white onions sliced into rings
- 3 Tbsp. cooking oil
How to Cook Braised Pork with Onion Rings:
- Put the pork in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Then mix the pork until well coated with the seasoning.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute garlic and onions until onions are soft. Then add in the pork and stir.
- Saute the pork until slightly brown and the liquid has evaporated and also the fat renders.
- Pour cooking rice wine and stir. Then add soy sauce and oyster sauce. Stir until the sauce is reduced to half.
- Then add in brown sugar and calamansi juice. Stir for a minute then pour boiling water in the pan.
- Cover and simmer until for and hour or until the pork is tender. Then add in the white onion rings and stir. Simmer for a minute then turn off heat. Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply