Seafood Crepes ala Magic Pan
This seafood crepe recipe is made from crab meat and shrimps filling. Wondering why it is called ala “magic pan”? It’s because this crepe is similar to the crepes served in an American restaurant called “The Magic Pan” which specializes in crepes and is popular in the states in the late 70’s through 1990’s.
1/2 cup (115 grams) butter
1 tablespoon salad oil or cooking oil
1/2 cup minced onions
1 kilo fresh shrimp (small-medium size), half cooked, shelled and deveined
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1/4 kilo fresh button mushrooms, quartered lengthwise
1 kilo fresh crabs (alimango or alimasag), cooked and shelled
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder
1/4 teaspoon MSG
2 cups all purpose cream
1/8 cup cooking sherry or white wine
1 recipe Balat ng lumpia (eggroll wrapper)
How to cook Seafood Crepes ala Magic Pan:
- In a medium-sized, heavy saucepan over low fire, melt butter with oil. Saute onions until wilted, then add shrimp.
- Stir in flour. Add mushrooms and cook until just wilted, then add crab meat. Season with salt, pepper, and MSG. Pour in cream slowly, stirring constantly to prevent lumping.
- Then add sherry in a slow stream, stirring constantly. Adjust seasoning to taste, then remove from fire.
- Put 2 heaping tablespoons of the mixture on one side of each lumpia wrapper and roll up.
- Arrange crepes on a serving dish. Pour any leftover seafood mixture on top of the crepe, then serve.
How to make Eggroll Wrapper:
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons evaporated milk
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups water
- Combine flour, starch, eggs, milk and salt.
- With paddle attachment of electric mixer, beat in water, a little at a time until mixture is a smooth paste.
- Oil and heat an 8 inch cast iron or teflon frying pan. Pour 1/8 cup batter into hot pan, tilt pan so batter coats the entire bottom surface. cook one side then gently turn over to cook other side.
- Place cooked wrappers on slightly damp towel and cover. Repeat to make each wrapper. Makes 20 wrappers.