Salmon Laing Express
Laing or cooked taro or gabi leaves in coconut milk is a well known Filipino dish that originates in the Visayas region but since it is so well known many regions in the Philippines have their versions of this dish. The best laing is cooked by Bicolanos and there is no doubt about it. This salmon laing express is a quick cooking laing so you need canned salmon and laing but you can use fresh laing if none is available but you must know how to prepare and choose the right kind of fresh gabi leaves to avoid the stinging itchy sensation in the tongue and throat.
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. minced ginger
1 medium white onion, diced
1 medium red bell pepper, sliced into strips
1 (150ml) can coconut cream or kakang gata
4 Tbsp. yellow salted beans or tausi, rinsed
juice of 1/2 lemon or juice of 2 pcs calamansi (about 2 Tbsp.)
1 can (400 gram) salmon chunks, drained and broken into small chunks
2 (150 grams) canned laing, spicy flavored, divide into chunks
How to cook Salmon Laing Express:
- Heat oil in a wide saucepan. Saute ginger for 1 minute then add onions and bell peppers.
- Continue sauteing until the onions become transparent.
- Pour in coconut cream. When it start to simmer, add tausi and lemon juice.
- Arrange chunks of salmon and laing in the pan, and continue simmering for a few minutes.
- Being careful not to over mix to retain it’s chunky texture.
- Serve hot in a serving dish.