This recipe is the fish version of the pork pochero or commonly known as “pochero”. It is stewed mudfish with tomato sauce, saba bananas or plantain bananas, sweet potatoes and cabbage. The cooking method of cooking this pocherong dalag is frying the fish first before stewing it with the vegetables. You can also cook it without frying but it will have some unpleasant fishy taste and odor which is the characteristics of mudfish.
- 1 medium-sized dalag
- ½ head garlic, pounded
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup oil
- 1 onion, sliced finely
- 1 small cabbage, cut into 4 parts
- 3 ripe banana saba, cut into halves
- 2 yellow camote, cut into halves
- 2 cup water
- salt, MSG
- Clean and slice dalag into serving pieces. Salt and fry dalag and set aside.
- Saute the garlic, onions, and tomatoes. Add water. When it boils, add the bananas, camote, and cabbage.
- Cover and simmer until vegetables are done. Add fish; then salt and MSG to taste.
- Serve hot Good for 4 persons.